Saturday 20 September 2014

Today's Tea: Garcinia Goodness

Garcinia Goodness from DAVIDsTEA




Description: We all sometimes need a little after-dinner relief. Next time, reach for this earthy, citrusy tea. It combines pu’erh and garcinia – two traditional metabolism boosters. Haven’t heard of garcinia? It’s a small tropical fruit that looks a bit like a mini pumpkin. And in its native Asia, it’s been used as a natural appetite suppressant for centuries. Here we blend it with black tea, pu’erh, orange peel and hibiscus, for a rich, earthy tea you can feel good about drinking. The perfect end to any meal.


Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, puerh tea, orange peel, hibiscus, garcinia, stevia, red cornflower. With natural orange flavouring.

Caffeine: 2 (Medium caffeine)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp    96°C/205°F 4-7 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Garcinia Goodness)

Steph's Thoughts:
Honestly, I thought they misspelled gardenia, and it was going to be flowery. I was wrong.

Dry leaf notes smell very heavily of orange. I was worried I wouldn't like it because of the dry leaf notes, but I've learned not to judge my tea solely on its dry smell.

The tea tastes very much like an Orange Pekoe, but with a little bit of .... something. I think it's the earthiness of the pu'erh tea combined with the tang of hibiscus. The Hubby said that it tastes like "Red Rose tea with a slice of lemon." So, it's highly British then??

Garcinia Goodness tastes very good with sweetener. It's a little tart on its own, but the sweetener adds a nice flavour to it. Andrea (my TeaGuide) said that as an iced tea, the light citrus notes come through, but as a hot tea, it's the bold earthy pu'erh flavour that you get.

It is still from the Camellia sinensis plant, so you're going to get a bit of a caffeine hit if you're sensitive to that sort of thing.

It's not bad. It's not my favourite, but I'm glad I've tried it.

Verdict: Pretty okay.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found your blog, I often end up unsure of what is worth trying when I go Davids for instance and it helps to have honest reviews from someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received this tea last week. It is not the best tasting tea to me...just odd. I thought perhaps that it's the garcinia. This will not be a re-purchase for me.

    ReplyDelete