Thursday 29 November 2012

Today's Tea: Cherry Cola

Organic Cherry Cola from DAVIDsTEA

This tea is also a request from Kaseteufel. (Seriously, guys, if you have any requests, get them in!! I love taking reader requests!!)

Ingredients: Black tea, cherry pieces, stevia, with organic and natural flavouring


(From DAVIDsTEA: Cherry Cola)


Steph's Thoughts:

Smells very perfume-y. Also, this tea is very strong if you let it steep too long.

Initially, this is not my most favourite tea, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of cherry cola. It definitely has a cola aftertaste, though. Also, it is VERY WEIRD drinking hot cola. I think I will try icing it and see what the verdict is.

The ladies at the Grant Park DT store (who are AMAZING!!!!) recommend drinking it very sweet. I had it with a half pump of agave, but that wasn't enough. It definitely requires at LEAST a full pump. I added more agave when I got home, so in the end I think I had about 2 Tablespoons of agave in my tea. I know that sounds like a lot, but it's slightly healthier than white sugar......... (Please don't judge - I like my tea sweet...)

Hubby was intrigued by the smell, and decided to steal a sip. He then asked me why I was drinking liquified gummy coke bottles. He then recounted a story of one of his friends (who is a HUGE fan of anything with excessive amounts of sugar)  who left a large container of gummy coke bottles in the backseat of his vehicle on a rather hot summer day (yes, Manitoba gets those too...). When he returned to the car, the gummies had liquified. Rather than throwing them out, he let them solidify again, and then just cut chunks off and nommed them that way. I had some too, and I will admit, they were a little chewier than regular coke gummies, but definitely just as nomtacular!

And now that I think "gummy bottles," this tea is not half bad. I'm not a big fan of the INITIAL sip, but the cola aftertaste is decent. I'm sure the caloric content of this tea is significantly less than a cup of cola would have, and you can sweeten it with whatever you want - stevia, xylitol, honey, and agave are all (apparently) better for you than refined white sugar, or corn syrup.

*walks to the fridge to get the iced stuff*

It tastes marginally less weird iced. I wonder what it would be like to brew this double-strength and serve it with soda water...

Verdict: Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it has a following.
I prefer the Root Beer stuff, iced. It's, in my opinion, better. Though I gotta say, even for someone who likes flat pop, it is WEIRD drinking pop-tea.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sorry for the bad suggestion :\ I also love flat pop so I was hoping it would be tasty but I kinda forgot that tea is usually hot -_-.
    Did you want to venture another suggestion?
    How about Cherry Blossom White?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Kaseteufel. It wasn't a bad suggestion. I love trying new teas, so it was an adventure!
      Though I would suggest making it for iced tea, not hot tea. Just brew it double strength and pour it over ice in a plastic cup (not a glass cup, unless you've got an amazingly special glass cup). And make it sweet.


      The next time I'm at David's, I"ll try picking up a cup of the Cherry Blossom White, if they've got it in stock.

      Delete