Tuesday 25 December 2012

Today's Tea: Big Apple

Big Apple from DAVIDsTEA


Description: There’s just something magical about New York City. We love the hustle and bustle, the excitement, and of course the food. Something about the words “big apple” just gets us salivating. Which is why we created this tea, a deliciously fruity blend of premium white and green teas with big pieces of golden apple. It’s fun, flashy and full of flavour – just like our favourite city.

Ingredients: White tea (Mao Feng), green tea (Wu Lu and Guangxi), apple, artificial flavouring

Caffeine: 2 (Medium)

How to Brew: 1.25 tsp 92°C/198°F (though the bag says 82°F) 3-4 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Big Apple)

Steph's Thoughts:

I wanted to try apple tea, and had heard that this one was pretty good. I ordered this one at DT on Monday, and decided that Christmas Day would be a wonderful time for a) a new tea and b) something fruity. And tea is healthier than cider or hot chocolate, in theory, so.... Hooray! I'm now sitting at my in-laws' place doing a tea review, on Christmas Day.

Oh hey! Happy Christmas, readers.

Anyway. The leaves have a wonderful apple smell, with a hint of something. I can't quite name it. It's quite lovely, though.

I tried brewing it as best I could without a thermometer and proper measuring spoon, as my in-laws are not quite as nerdy as I am. I used water that had boiled and then sat for a few minutes before I put it into the cup. One of the Guides at DT had said that she had oversteeped this tea and therefore hadn't liked it, so I tried really hard to only let it steep for about 3-4 minutes. I think I could let it steep for a few more minutes yet, but more than about 8 minutes, and I've been told it'll be very bitter.

I like this tea. It's like a tea-ish version of apple cider, only with less spices. I'm sure you could add some cinnamon and some other stuff, and make cider out of this. Although I probably wouldn't. It's a wonderful apple tea. It's got a very nice subtle aftertaste.

It really is hard to describe the taste. I mean, you can tell that it's made of apple, but it doesn't taste like apple sauce, or juice, or cider, or crisp, OR PIE. It's like,..... dried apple, without the bitter chewiness, like healthy green tea without the bitter powderiness, and like juice without the added sugar. I wonder what this tea would taste like iced? It doesn't REALLY taste like cinnamon, but I feel like there is some in there. Maybe it's just because my tongue often pairs apple with cinnamon. It's not overwhelming at all, though. It's nice.

And it's not bitter at all, so I suppose I steeped it for an appropriate amount of time. I didn't end up using any sweetener in this one. I really don't think it needs it.

All in all, this is a lovely tea.

VERDICT: Tea win!

No comments:

Post a Comment