Friday 14 December 2012

Today's Tea: Organic Ever Green

Organic Ever Green from DAVIDsTEA



Description: We were inspired by David Suzuki when we dreamed up this tea. It’s an organic blend of Japanese sencha with Canadian-sourced cranberries, blueberries and sea lettuce. A little bit sweet, a little bit fruity with an oceanic hint. Plus it’s entirely sourced from farms that meet the highest standards of sustainability. You might call it an homage to everyone’s favourite environmental icon.


Ingredients: Organic: Sencha green tea, cranberries, blueberries, caraway seed, mustard seed, sea lettuce. With natural flavouring.

Allergens: Mustard seed

From DAVIDsTEA: Organic Ever Green

Steph's Thoughts:

The name put me in mind of a Raffi album I listened to as a child - Ever Green, Ever Blue, so I was excited to try it. I was expecting hints of pine, reminiscent perhaps of Cold 911, but instead I smelled cranberries and blueberries, and something very strong that I cannot identify, even now. The smell stirs a memory, but I cannot grasp it, nor can I place the smell. And quite frankly, it's driving me mad that I cannot put this into words.

It brews a lovely clear amber, and tastes like.... Well, the only word I can think of to describe this tea is GREEN. If GREEN had a taste, I think this would be it. There are definite aftertastes of cranberry and dried blueberry.

In reading the ingredients over and over and over, I think my tastebuds are convinced that I taste sea lettuce, which according to my brain, tastes like the seaweed that you wrap your sushi in, only sweeter.

I think this tea would, in fact, make a lovely complement to sushi or a fish dish.

Also, let me say this: DO NOT microwave the paper cups that the tea comes in if you want to reheat it. I had an EPIC FAIL moment. But my tea does not taste like burning, so I guess, epic win???

I think I like this tea on the sweet side, as it brings out the blueberry flavour. Also, I would recommend following the brewing instructions, as this is a green tea, and green teas are notoriously picky about their water temperature. But Chris at DAVIDsTEA-Grant Park (henceforth referred to as DT-GP) brewed it perfectly!

This all being said, I think the taste is something that requires a bit of time, and a very particular palate. Initially, I was unsure about it, as it's not my favourite. And I don't think it ever will be. But it DOES grow on you. I think I was disappointed that it didn't smell like pine, so maybe that plays into things a little. It does have a fairly strong smell (it's That Which I Cannot Identify), which translates into a taste. It's PLANT-Y. It's GREEN. And that's not a bad thing. It's just ... not MY thing.

Hubby says that it does NOT taste like Green, but somehow like a sharp peach liqueur. Though he's not entirely sure about the peach part of it. He said the smell is a little acrid, which is off-putting. After a few sips, he was able to taste the blueberries. Dried blueberries have a very different taste than fresh blueberries, and I think that is maybe where the taste difference comes in, because there REALLY IS a clear aftertaste of DRIED blueberries. Like... craisins but not. Green Craisins?? Hubby had an AHA moment when reading over my shoulder. "If you stick your nose in a bag of dried blueberries, I'm pretty sure part of the smell in Ever Green is THAT SMELL."

Verdict: Iffy. Could be good if paired with sushi?????????

No comments:

Post a Comment