Friday 10 May 2013

Today's Tea: Mint Julep

Mint Julep from DAVIDsTEA




Description: If you want a taste of the Kentucky Derby, the best place to start is a mint julep. So ice yourself a cup of this little number and hang on to your hat. With black tea, spearmint and lemon peel, it’s smooth and refreshing right out of the gate. Add a creamy touch of pineapple and coconut, and you’ve got a cool summer drink that’s best in class. Try it with a sprig of fresh mint, a splash of bourbon and lots of cracked ice. Trust us – it’s a winner.


Ingredients: Black tea, rooibos, spearmint, pineapple, coconut, lemon peel, natural and artificial flavouring.

Allergens: Contains coconut

Caffeine: 2 (medium caffeine)

How to Brew:  1.25 tsp     98°C / 208°F   4-6 min

(from DAVIDsTEA: Mint Julep)

Steph's Thoughts:
First off: Hi DT-Grant Park staff!! I ♥ you guys! You are my Tea-ple. (yes, I know your official title is TeaGuide... Just go with it.)

I was superduper unbelievably excited to try the new summer teas from DT, so I rushed in to the store from work today. I checked out the new teas on Facebook before I went in to the store, so I knew that Mint Julep was going to be one of the ones I was going to buy even before smelling it (I really do love mint teas). I definitely needed something exciting today.

A year ago, I would have said, "Coconut and mint?? Ew gross, you are CRAZY." And then came Cocomint Cream (which I MEANT to review, and never did. Whups. Sorry!), which changed a lot of my views on tea.

And so we have Mint Julep. Apparently this is traditionally an alcoholic drink with bourbon, spearmint and a sugar syrup (or just sugar). Personally, I'm not a bourbon fan, so I'm thinking that I'll like the tea a whole lot better. And it is quite fantastic. It's a nice rich brownish-red colour, and brews VERY clear.

Upon first sip, the taste of coconut comes through, but it is not overpowering. I think I also taste the pineapple, but again, it's not overpowering. When you swallow, there's the refreshing aftertaste of mint. And THAT'S not overpowering either.  It's .... just the right amount of flavouring. It's summery, and energizing and... refreshing.....  I can see that, if you drink this in a silver cup, it would make you feel VERY posh. Alas, I just have it in a take-out cup from DT. But it's still pretty fabulous.

It tastes wonderful cold, and I feel like this is a tea that I should always have a brewed iced pitcher of. I really could drink this by the litre. I know I say that about every new tea that comes into my life (I'm a little fickle that way...), but really, this is pretty darn fantastic, even if it doesn't smell like much. "Ooh, black tea with some mint and coconut and it smells a little weeeeird." But trust me, It makes for an EXCELLENT cup of iced tea.

Verdict: MAJOR win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment