Wednesday 22 May 2013

Today's Tea: TeaPop!

TeaPop from DAVIDsTEA

So, my Friendly Neighbourhood TeaGuide told me that I absolutely had to come in on Wednesday (today). I did, and I was treated to the first day of a new promotion: TeaPop!

Now, I'd read that this was something new, but I thought it was tea-flavoured (or tea-infused) popsicles. Which, if I recall from last summer, have the potential to be amazing.
But TeaPop is not this.

TeaPop is.... well, the graphic says, "They're fun. They're fizzy. They're flavourful. And they have next to no calories."
The premise is that it's tea mixed with soda water to create something fizzy and refreshing, like iced tea but with a fizzy kick. Or pop, if you were. (haha, I am so funny.....)

The great part is that it comes in whatever flavour you want it. I needed something with a big kick, so I had Jungle JuJu (which I reviewed in March). It's a maté, and I think it required a bit more sweetener than I put in, because it was a little... well, not as sweet as I like my sparkling water. I can see something sweeter being better.

There are a few recommended teas, which are mostly herbal teas, though there are others. Midsummer Night's Dream, Goji Pop, Pink Flamingo, Tropicalia, Lime Gelato, Blueberry Jam and Pink Passionfruit are some that I can think of off the top of my head. If it's fruit-based, chances are it'll be good.

When I was talking with the TeaGuide making my TeaPop today, she said that David (and someone else from the DT corporate office) actually went through all the teas they carry and tried each of them as a TeaPop. THAT would be the coolest job in the world (I WILL TOTALLY TAKE IT, GUYS!). It shows dedication to the product and also, making sure that the recommendations are good ones and not "Hey, customer, try this!" and have it be kinda gross.

Since TeaPop isn't available on the website, and thus, I can't link to it, DT DID come up with a recipe for us:


Feel free to try it, and please let me know your results!!

DT makes it with a SodaStream, though I'm sure any unflavoured carbonated water would work well.

It would be best to add a bit more sweetener than you normally do, though, as the taste of the soda water really does come through. I don't know why, but for some reason, plain carbonated water tastes salty to me. Maybe I'm just used to oversweetened American soda, so much that my tastebuds are ruined when it comes to carbonated drinks. Apparently in Europe, plain sparkling water is normal. It's taken me a great deal of time to adjust to drinking plain sparkling water and not expect ZOMGSWEET on my tongue.

Verdict: Neat refreshing summer drink; cool idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment