Thursday 26 June 2014

Today's Tea: Caramel Corn

Caramel Corn from DAVIDsTEA

Description: It’s sweet. It’s salty. And it’s totally addictive. It’s no surprise that caramel corn is such a popular fairground treat. And we just can’t get enough of it. So of course we had to make it into a tea. With real popped corn, caramel pieces plus fresh hints of apple, pineapple, almonds and coconut, it’s rich, buttery and beyond satisfying. And thanks to a touch of beetroot, it brews a fun bright pink colour. Now you can experience that fairground treat anytime, anywhere.


Ingredients: Apple, cinnamon, pineapple, caramel, currants, almonds, beetroot, coconut, popcorn, natural & artificial flavouring.

Allergens: Contains almonds, coconut and milk

Caffeine: 0 (Caffeine Free)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp    96°C/205°F 4-7 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Caramel Corn)

Steph's Thoughts:
New collection day means new teas for me! Yay!

Initially, I wasn't sure about this one. I mean, I'm not a huge popcorn fan. But this happened to be one of the Teas of the Day at DT, and it really surprised me.

It has the wonderful caramel corn flavour with none of the calories. Well, okay, maybe like, 5. It doesn't need any sweetener, and makes a fabulous cup of iced tea.

Apparently it tastes really funny when paired with a chicken sandwich, so I wouldn't recommend it to have with a meal. This is more of an "I'm craving something sweet but don't want to/ can't eat" kind of tea.

I didn't realize that the tea contains almonds, so if nuts are your allergen, or if you're hanging out in a place that is designated "nut free" (ie, the daycare!), don't drink this tea. Although, somebody told me that almonds aren't technically a nut, but are the interior meat of the pit of a fruit akin to the peach. However, they are still classified as nuts in a culinary sense.

THAT being said, this tea totally surprised me. I didn't think I'd like it, but I totally love the flavour. The bonus is that it tastes like caramel corn without the sticky teeth, or getting the kernels/ husks stuck between your tooth and your gums! I can totally get behind this idea because that's why I don't eat popcorn as a general rule. Also, the colour that this brews is SO pretty! It's a beautiful pinkish colour, which pairs very nicely with the DAVIDsTEA signature teal.

(that picture was stolen from my afternoon Twitter post!)

I don't know how it tastes hot, but iced it makes a LOVELY treat.

HOpefully I'll be able to review ALL of the carnival collection in the next few days!

Oh, I love tea.


Verdict: WIN. Just go pick up a bag. You'll thank me. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment