Sunday 22 July 2012

Today's Tea: Jessie's Tea

Jessie's Tea from David's Tea


Description: We’ll never forget the day Jessie Farrell came into our store looking for lavender tea. The red-headed country star was on a quest. She wanted something comforting, energizing and soothing that she could drink all day long. Together, we came up with this pretty blend of lavender, rooibos, coconut and cornflowers. Try it. You’ll understand why she wrote a song about it.

Ingredients: Rooibos, honeybush, coconut bits, lavender, blue cornflowers, natural and artificial flavoring.

(From David's Tea: Jessie's Tea)

Steph's Thoughts:

This is the first time trying this tea. I'd originally bought it for a craft project (slightly sacrilegious, I know) because of the pretty purple flowers. It is a very beautiful-looking tea. I had some left over so I thought I'd brew a cup.

Upon taking it out of the bag, it was very fragrant. Almost too perfume-y for my tastes. But hey, to each their own. I brewed slightly less than the recommended 1.5 teaspoons (mostly because my mesh spoon wouldn't hold any more...). This is not a tea for people that dislike coconut. Or very flowery tea.

My first few sips were, well, mediocre. I'm not going to mince words here (Sorry, David's Tea....) - I'm VERY hesitant when it comes to coconut. When drinking it, the taste triggered a memory. Or at least that, "I've smelled this/ tasted this before, where was it?!" memory that people seem to have on occasion. When I figured out that it reminded me of summer camp, specifically being the craft instructor at summer camp, I was slightly more okay with drinking this tea. It tastes like the feeling of visiting the coffee corner in the camp kitchen before you took your tea up to the staff room (pre-renovations) for your hour off - if one can put a taste to that feeling.

Jessie's Tea is still not my favourite, but I'm not going to pour it down the sink after one sip (yes, I have done that with teas before). It's got a little bit of a bite to it - not spicy, but it's not smooth either. Pep? I don't know how to describe it. The aftertaste is definitely coconut with flowers. If there are any tea leaves in the bottom of the cup during your last sip, I would recommend not taking the last sip. The dregs are very overpowering.

Rooibos is the kind of tea that I let steep longer (unlike the Earl Grey of yesterday). It seems to taste just fine if you let it steep while you drink. I didn't sweeten the tea at all, and sweet-wise it tasted good. This is good, especially when I want to cut down on my sugar intake. I'm still not quite sure about the coconut and lavender.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. Some people LOVE this tea (seeing as it's apparently one of the biggest sellers and most favourite teas), but I have to say, I'm not terribly impressed. Would I drink it again? Probably not. Would I recommend it for people that love coconut? Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment