Thursday 16 May 2013

Today's Tea: Cocomint Cream

Cocomint Cream from DAVIDsTEA




Description: Cream of the crop - Coconut and mint might not be a familiar combo, but trust us. It’s seriously addictive. As soon as you open your first tin and experience its fresh, sweet-mint aroma, you’ll understand. It’s the kind of tea you always want to have within arm’s reach. It makes a sweet little afternoon pick-me-up. Or a perfect finale to any meal. Or a midnight snack that won’t keep you up all night. Refreshing, creamy, sweet and comforting, it’s everything a tea ought to be.
Ingredients: Apple, coconut, peppermint, blackberry leaves.
How to Brew: 1.5 tsp     98°C / 208°F   4-6 min
Steph's Thoughts:
This tea? Totally changed my view on coconut. (like I said in my last review.)
I generally hate coconut in tea. It's just too.... simulated. Fake. I'm not a tropical fruit kinda person. And when you mix mint with it? Blech. 
Originally, this tea was one of DAVIDsTEA's Winter Collection, and is actually unavailable now (hence the link from Steepster and not DT, but I like people to know where I get my info). I know - TOTALLY helpful, Steph! I didn't buy the whole winter collection initially, because I wasn't enthralled with the contents. When I read the descriptions of the teas, my honest first reaction was, "Coconut and mint? Blech. Never ever will I try that." I ended up getting a few of the winter teas, but avoided this one for quite a while until one day over the winter, I went into the store, and my TeaGuide made me this one. 
I didn't know what I was in the mood for, and was feeling adventurous. I told my TeaGuide to surprise me. She made me this one and BOY HOWDY, am I glad she did. I've ended up buying two tins of it so far. (I am sad that it is not a year-round tea, because it would be a lovely summer drink. BUT THERE IS MINT JULEP WHICH IS ALMOST AS GOOD!)
Initially, when it steeps, it has a pale green colour (kind of - hahaha - a creamy-mint green), but it mellows to a nice rich yellow if you let it steep long enough (Forgive me, I got distracted with the dog), kind of like unsweetened apple juice. 
There is definitely a mint smell, but it's a subtle mint. Apple mint, I guess (WHICH YOU CAN USE TO MAKE MOJITOS WHAT?!). It's not an IN YER FACE mint, but it's not Cool Mint, either. It has Presence. And you can smell the coconut too, but it's not Fake-o-nut. It's the nice, sweet, fleshy part of the meat. 
The coconut and apple make it nice and light, and the mint gives it a refreshing little tingle. I brewed this in my Perfect Mug, and it did send a little bit of debris down to the bottom, and brews with a bit of a film on top, but the film doesn't detract from the drink. I'm wondering if this is the coconut oil just rising to the top. Does it do that?? I don't even know. 
Either way, I am savouring every cup of this tea like nobody's business. And hoarding it. I actually hide the tin when my in-laws come over. (YES IT IS THAT GOOD)
Verdict: Major win of epic proportions (PLEASE BRING THIS TEA BACK, DT!!!!)

1 comment:

  1. this is my favorite tea and I wanted to shed a tear when I heard that it was discontinued!

    ReplyDelete