Saturday 21 July 2012

Today's Tea: Cream of Earl Grey

Organic Cream of Earl Grey from David's Tea


Description: Lovers of Earl Grey adore this creamy alternative to the original blend. You’ll recognize the same high-quality black tea, the same citrus burst of bergamot oil, the same beautiful grey-blue petals. However this version adds a touch of vanilla, and the result is an unexpectedly rich, creamy taste experience.

Ingredients: Organic: Black tea, cornflowers. With natural vanilla and bergamot flavouring.

(from David's Tea: Cream of Earl Grey)


Steph's Thoughts:
This is typically the Earl Grey I turn to when I have a craving for Earl Grey. It's .... creamier than regular Earl Grey and tastes a little like a London Fog, without all the sweet vanilla syrup. To be fair, I DID sweeten it with a little bit of sugar, but that's only because I couldn't find my agave nectar. For my liking, I tend to drink this one with a little bit MORE sweetener in.

If I'm steeping this tea in a teabag as opposed to a brewer, it is one of the few teas with which I will remove the teabag from the cup after about 5 minutes. I find that Earl Grey tends to get bitter if it's left to steep too long. This black tea is one that tastes good when brewing instructions are followed (as opposed to, say, fruit teas which taste just fine if you leave the teabag in while you sip).


I had two different brands of Cream of Earl Grey today. The David's Tea brand is bolder, while the Teaopia (which is apparently now called Teavana) brand is smoother. And I think the Teaopia one has more vanilla too, if my tastebuds have anything to say about it. So, it's really your preference. And of course, you can always add a wee dram of vanilla to your tea if it's not quite the right taste.

This is definitely a rainy-day tea, or an "I need CALM!" tea.

2 comments:

  1. Hello ^^
    I just discovered David's tea and I really love their tea!
    I have never tried an earl grey before so I thought it was a good opportunity. After this review, I will try it , but I was wondering is it okay to drink straight (no milk no sugar) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally depends on your tastes. If you like straight tea, then do it. Some people find that Earl Grey requires a little bit of dilution with milk or water. This is the joy of discovering tea - discovering your own taste and your own love.

      I would say totally, try it without milk and sugar and see if you like it. You can always add it later.

      Delete