Tuesday 26 November 2013

Today's Tea: Movie Night!

Movie Night from DAVIDsTEA


Description: This popcorn tea is better than the real thing. First of all, it has no calories. Second of all, it’s sweetened with maple and apple. Third of all, it has green tea, which studies (well, ok, experience) say is the ideal brew for keeping you quietly alert throughout a late-night flick. Great for thrillers, dramas, westerns or comedies. Drink it at home or smuggle it into the theatre.

Ingredients: Apple, Sencha-style green tea, popped corn, artificial flavouring

Caffeine: 1 (Low caffeine)

Brewing Instructions: 2 tsp     94°C/201°F    5-7 min

(From: DAVIDsTEA: Movie Night)

Steph's Thoughts:
As you know from reading my blog, I don't typically like green tea. Nor do I typically like popcorn or artificially maple-flavoured things.

THAT BEING SAID, this tea is everything I dislike in one cup, except it turns out it tastes like the opposite of dislike. WHO KNEW.

I went into DT wanting to try something that I haven't previously had. This is getting harder and harder, as I've tried MANY of the teas, and have most of them at home. I ended up getting a cup of something else, but I picked up a bag of Movie Night to try at home. I figured if I wouldn't like it, I could regift it to someone who would.

After an awesome evening with friends at The Day of the Doctor, we came back to my house for tea. I wanted something with low caffeine, that would be okay straight (no sweetener), and that wasn't too fruity. This one won out, which, given my tea aversions, was surprising to everyone. I figure, it's my house, if I don't like it I'll make another cup of something and not feel obligated to drink it!

Dry leaf notes are caramelly-maple with sweetness. And with the popcorn bits, it's aesthetically pleasing to look at.

My first sip was very surprising. It was... YUMMY!

If you like caramel popcorn, this is your tea. You can't taste the popcorn, per se, but it makes the tea look pretty. The maple flavour is not overwhelming. It's a really nice balance of sweetness and fruity, without being overwhelming. If you want to add a little more sweetener, the maple agave might go well, although this tea really is sweet enough in its own right that it doesn't need additional sweetener. I must have brewed it at the right temperature too, because the green tea doesn't taste icky (I tend to have really bad luck with green tea). I can't stress this enough: MAKE SURE YOU ARE BREWING GREEN TEA AT THE PROPER TEMPERATURE. It really does make a huge difference.

It's so good that it's been my go-to two days in a row. Sorry friends. I'm keeping this one.

Verdict: Surprising WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment