Wednesday 1 January 2014

Today's tea: Giverny Monet Rooibos

Giverny Monet Rooibos from The Metropolitan Tea Company


Description: Chocolate and Pineapple waft gently through premium rooibos. A light nutty finish.

Ingredients: Cedarberg South African Rooibos, chocolate pieces, cornflower petals, natural flavours

Brewing Instructions: none given,  but I'm assuming it's similar to other Rooibos,  which is 1.5 tsp, fully boiling water (212°F/100°C),  4-6 minutes.

Caffeine: 0 (Caffeine free)

(From the bag)

Steph's Thoughts:
Happy new year! I'm at a friend's house and she offered me tea. I figured I'd take the opportunity to try something new. As always,  the chocolate won out.

Dry leaf notes are rooibos with a hint of chocolate.
Brewed aroma calls to mind sweet rooibos with an after-aroma of fruit.

Upon first sip, I realize that this tea doesn't require any sweetener as it is a very sweet tea. There is a little chocolate flavour but it's not overwhelming. The rooibos cuts through the other flavours. I suppose the fruit taste that they were going for is pineapple, but it's very mellow,  almost like a candied dried pineapple rather than a fresh juicy pineapple. I find the tea pairs very well with both a sweet snack and a salty meal.

I find that with flavoured rooibos, companies often err on the side of less flavour, more tea. I tend to prefer my flavoured rooibos the other way around. The problem with rooibos,  though, is that it has such a distinct flavour of its own. It's hard to pair and blend properly.

I think that this tea could use a bit more flavour, if they're going for "flavoured tea." If they're going for a straight tea with very subtle chocolate and fruit notes (and I do mean very subtle), then they've succeeded. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

Verdict: Not too bad. I would drink it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment