Tuesday 14 January 2014

Today's Tea: Super Ginger

Organic Super Ginger from DAVIDsTEA


Description: The idea came at about 2 in the morning one chilly night. David had a cold. He’d been drinking cup after cup of ginger tea, but there was a problem. His ginger tea had a ton of caffeine. His throat felt great, but he couldn’t get any sleep. Something had to be done. So he decided to create an herbal ginger tea – the spiciest, most comforting tisane he could imagine, with lots of ginger, peppercorns and green rooibos. And, most importantly, zero caffeine. The result? A cold remedy so soothing…you might even say it has superpowers. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Ginger, certified fair-trade green rooibos, pink peppercorns, black pepper, white pepper, flavouring.

Caffeine: 0 (caffeine free)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp    98°C/208°F 4-7 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Super Ginger)

Steph's Thoughts:

Since I'm sick with a sore throat, and I'm a little sick of Cold 911 (soooo muuuuuch Cold 911 this month!!!!), I wanted something a little different.
Even though I was smelling with a very stuffy nose, the ginger cut right through. That's good news.

First sips aren't as strong as I thought. Either I didn't put enough tea in the bag, or my taste buds are sick too. It's also not as spicy as I expected, given ginger and peppercorns. But, at the same time, grateful, because I'm not feeling like spicy right now.Maybe it will taste different when my nose isn't so plugged.

It is nice and soothing for my scratchy throat. I didn't add any sweetener, but I would recommend honey, which is both a sweetener and has antibacterial, antiseptic, and antifungal properties (especially raw honey, which DAVIDsTEA also sells!).

I noticed the last few sips were significantly spicier, which could be from lots of steeping, or from a clearer nose. Either way, it's not a terribly bad thing.

Verdict: So far so good. I'm feeling a little better than I did when I started drinking, so we're on the right track!

No comments:

Post a Comment