Saturday 12 April 2014

Today's Tea: Lover's Leap Estate

Lover's Leap Estate OP from TeaLeafs


Description: Malty with a jammy-like flavor that is vacuum-packed at the estate capturing the pungent 2nd flush flavor at its peak. Medium body, flavoury cup with piquant Ceylon character that is best in the morning or after dinner. High Polyphenol Antioxidant Tea 9.85%, 98%+ Ethical Tea Partnership.

Ingredients: Luxury black tea

Caffeine: (None listed, but research indicates Medium)

Brewing Instructions: (None listed, but research indicates 1.5 tsp/ 8oz water, 100ºC/212ºF,  3-7 minutes)

(From TeaLeafs: Lover's Leap; Elmwood Inn: Lover's Leap)

Steph's Thoughts: 
I felt like unflavoured tea today. It's been a lazy morning at home by myself, and I wanted something warm and comforting.

This is a tea that I picked up at TeaLeafs in Williamsville, NY. I had the BEST experience shopping there, and I'd definitely recommend it if you're in the Buffalo area. Syd knows her stuff, and she's so bright and friendly. It'll be my first stop, my next trip to Buffalo!

The OP in Lover's Leap Estate OP stands for Orange Pekoe. It comes from an estate just outside Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka. In doing a little bit more research, it's consistently hailed as one of the best tea estates in Sri Lanka. It's high in elevation, which results in sunny, warm days, and cool nights, which are optimum tea growing conditions. Also, it's got beautiful scenery!



As there were no steeping instructions on the bag, I eyeballed it. I used 2 tsp of tea for about a cup and a bit of boiling water, and steeped for 7 minutes. The result is a wonderfully smooth cup of tea that requires no sweetening. And for someone who likes sweet tea, that's saying something. Hubby says that it smells like Red Rose with honey in it. I told him it's because it's an orange pekoe, but with whole leaf, rather than just the dustings. He also says that it's very well brewed. I'd like to think that most of it is the quality of the leaf rather than my brewing. I would recommend taking the bag out after about 7-10 minutes, rather than leaving the leaves to steep, as I feel like they'll get quite bitter over time.

It's got a nice, light flavour that is not overwhelmed by bitterness or after-notes. There are some woodsy notes, and some faint fruity notes. Berries, maybe? It kind of reminds me of walking through the woods in British Columbia - surrounded by green plants and warm, slightly humid air.

I feel like this would also make an incredibly luxurious cup of iced tea. With a hint of sugar and citrus, it would be perfect (if slightly expensive)!

Verdict: Major win.

No comments:

Post a Comment