Saturday 26 April 2014

Today's Tea: Pink Flamingo

Pink Flamingo from DAVIDsTEA

Description: Ready for spring break? Try this sweet, citrusy cocktail of oranges, tangerines and lemongrass. It’s got hibiscus and beetroot to turn it a natural shade of hot pink, plus blackberry leaves for a sunny burst of Vitamin C, apple and carrot for extra sweetness, and eucalyptus leaves for kick. Sound irresistible? Try it iced. In a martini glass. With a splash each of cointreau and gin. And a paper umbrella.

Caffeine: 0 (caffeine-free.)


Ingredients: Hibiscus blossoms, apple pieces, carrot flakes, blackberry leaves, eucalyptus leaves, lemongrass, beetroot pieces, freeze-dried tangerine/orange slices and artificial flavouring

Brewing Instructions:  1.25 tsp    96°C/ 205°F     4-7 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Pink Flamingo)

Steph's Thoughts:
I thought this was one I reviewed already. Nope.

This was one of DT's Teas of the Day in store. I thought I'd had it before, but I think I was thinking of pink lemonade. Though I'm pretty sure I've had Pink Flamingo too. The other option was Hot Mama, and since I had that one yesterday, I decided to have an iced Pink Flamingo. See, I told you it was iced tea season.

Anyway, Hubby had the first sip, and he said that there was something in there that made him go URK. I figured it was the hibiscus. With a pink tea, unless you're really lucky, chances are there's hibiscus in there. I know I said I was going to stay away from hibiscus, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

It is definitely citrusy. I can taste the lemongrass, though it is not overpowering. I was worried that the eucalyptus would make it taste a little bit like Vicks VapoRub, but it doesn't, thanks to the citrus and other fruit (and veggies!) that are in the tea. It gives more of a cooling sensation down your throat, rather than being there in taste. Keep in mind I don't have the most refined palate, and thus, a true connoisseur would be all, "What're you talking about, woman? It's TOTALLY there." But you're not reading their reviews, you're reading mine. Ha ha.

As loyal readers can attest, I'm not a fan of the hibiscus. The lemongrass and the orange (and I think I taste some apple in there too...) provide enough flavour that I can overlook it, though.

HOWEVER, if you like fruity, hibiscus-y, citrus, caffeine-free tea, then this is your cup.

It's fairly sweet on its own, but I always add a little bit of agave, just for good measure. I think it could use a little more than what my TeaGuide put in, to be honest.

Verdict: Eih. Not bad. Drinkable on a hot day.




ALSO, I went into Teavana today (I know, I know). I went there first, solely because a friend gave me a gift card and I wanted to spend it. However, the gift card was in US dollars, and the Canadian stores cannot accept USD (but they can take US cash......). They told me I could use it online, though. So I tried, and when I got to the checkout, they can't process gift cards at this time. I'll try again tomorrow, but ... I gotta say, Teavana, your service consistently disappoints. (Your teas, however, are - I will admit - not bad. I was really excited about the raspberry tea you offer. I wish DT would offer more raspberry teas.)



No comments:

Post a Comment