Monday 5 May 2014

Today's Tea: Blueberry Kona Pop

Blueberry Kona Pop from Teavana


Description: Deliciously fruity and refreshing! This blend of our Blueberry Bliss Rooibos tea and Pineapple Kona Pop herbal infusion conjures up the flavors of Hawaii with a blueberry pineapple hibiscus combination that beats the heat. This caffeine-free delight is perfect hot or iced and is great for the whole family to enjoy.

Caffeine: 0 (Caffeine Free)

Ingredients: Sugar, apple pieces, green rooibos, blueberries, candied pineapple (pineapple, sugar), raisins, black currants, rosehip peels, beetroot pieces, hibiscus flowers, natural and artificial flavoring (pineapple, blueberry), rose blossom leaves, rosebuds, marigold blossoms, orange blossoms

Brewing Instructions:  1.5 tsp     100ºC/212ºF    4-6 min

(From Teavana: Blueberry Kona Pop)

Steph's Thoughts:
This was the "free sample" included in my Teavana order. I wanted to try their Wonderberry Chocolate Truffle and the Raspberry Lemon Maté, and I got a free sample with my order.

Upon reading the ingredients, I was a little shocked that they included sugar as THE FIRST ingredient. They aren't listed on the website, either. I had to do a little bit of digging online (and then look at the bag, as sugar wasn't listed on the website that I checked). When I looked at the actual tea, it looked like there were pieces of glass in my tea. Those are the hunks of rock sugar that they add.

The bag requires a bit of shaking, as the tea tends to settle to the bottom, leaving all the chunks of fruit on the top. Depending on the chunks of fruit you get in your cup, the flavour might change.

Hubby and I brewed up a batch of this to share. It did have a nice smell and a nice colour. Hubby's first sip, though, was very disappointing. He said that it was like hot juice. "If I wanted this much sugar in my tea, I'd put it in. This is TOO SWEET." (though, he did end up finishing it!)

My cup wasn't as sweet as his, but it does not require ANY sugar as it is very, very sweet on its own. The blueberry flavour comes through very strongly, as does the hibiscus, which gives it a bit of a kick. I find that the flavour changes with every sip - some are blueberry, and some are pineapple. It's definitely interesting, that's for sure.
This does make a pretty nice iced tea, although like hubby said, it might as well be juice.

Verdict: Would be better if Teavana let customers add their own sweetener rather than doing it for them.  Okay otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment