Tuesday 21 August 2012

Today's Tea: Simply the Zest

Organic Simply the Zest from David's Tea

Description: Need a little help getting up in the morning? So did we – until we tried waking up to this sunny maté blend, with lemongrass, lemon myrtle, lemon zest and pretty yellow calendula petals. It’s light, smooth and refreshingly citrusy, with a welcome energy boost from green yerba maté. So steep yourself a little sunshine – it might just make you a morning person.

Ingredients: Green maté, lemongrass, lemon myrtle, lemon peel, calendula flowers. With natural orange flavouring.

(From David's Tea: Simply the Zest)


Steph's Thoughts:
First things first: Now, I HATE strongly dislike citrus teas. They are my least favourite of all teas (except maybe jasmine), and they will typically be the last thing I'll buy. HOWEVER, one whiff of this tea and I'd snatched up a tin.
When you smell this tea, it smells like SUNSHINE. If sunshine had a smell, this tea would be it. I'm not kidding. It smells like fresh, clean, outdoor air. It's like summertime and sunshine and happy and relaxing all in one place! Just SMELLING it is worth buying a tin. They're not kidding about calling this liquid sunshine.

When I brewed myself a cup, the taste didn't disappoint, either. It is definitely a maté, which means that it tends to run on the bitter side of tea. So, add a little (sweetener of choice) and you're golden. It's got more depth than your standard citrus tea, with hints of orange and ... lemon myrtle? I don't know exactly what makes the flavour so rich.

Since I'm not a coffee drinker, I typically turn to pop (or strong black tea) to give me a caffeine boost. However, this one does a pretty good job of giving me a little added boost - must be the maté. I know next to nothing about maté, except that in South America, they drink it out of a gourd with a straw thing, and it's not my favourite thing to drink (too bitter). I do, however, know this about maté - mixed with the right things, it can be amazing.

And isn't that just true about so many things in life? Things can be pretty blah, but mixed with the right things, it brings them to life, or transforms them into how they were "meant to be enjoyed."

Another win for DT (they seem to have a lot of them....)



No comments:

Post a Comment