Friday 19 October 2012

On Tea and Friendship

So, I've been in and out of the hospital this week. Bad things happened, and I ended up needing surgery. The surgery went okay, and I went home to recover.

I haven't been up to making much tea lately, but now that I'm recovering, I'm able to move around a bit more. Which is great, because last night a couple of friends came over and brought me a care package with a handful of tea samples (Ginseng Oolong, Second Flush Darjeeling, Korean Sejak, and White Peony), as well as the "Sweet Indulgence" tea package, and the "Foodie Collection" package, all from David's Tea, as well as some nice lotion, cookies, and chocolate.

I've tried some of the ones in the Sweet Indulgence package. It comes with 12 different teas (Buttered Rum, Coco Chai Rooibos, Coffee Pu’erh, Cranberry Pear, Forever Nuts, Goji Pop, Green Seduction, Jessie’s Tea, Long Life Oolong, Mango Madness, Oh Canada and Read My Lips). I can say right now that I'm not a huge fan of one of them, so I'll probably foist that one off on one of my friends.

The Foodie Collection comes with recipes that all involve brewed tea. BREWED TEA IN COOKING!

I honestly think that tea should go in all care packages. Also, my friends are freaking awesome. They know what I love, and they bring me TEA!

I can't wait to start reviewing.

Also, I would like to say this. Even though I love my tea, I have no problem sharing. Everyone that comes to my house gets offered a cup of tea. Most decline. But I think it's important to share tea with friends. There's something to be said for sharing a good cup of tea with people that matter. Holding your tea as it cools, sipping while you listen, and letting your tea steep as you talk....
I find that tea acts like a wall-reducer. Like having a cup of tea in your hands makes the world a little safer. And so instead of talking about fluff, you actually end up talking about important things. Exclaiming about being pregnant. Mourning a pregnancy loss. Celebrating an engagement. Crying about relationship issues. Rejoicing in a new job. Stressing about work. Making decisions about the future.  It's all safe over a cup of tea with friends. And that's one of the greatest things about tea. It makes things ... not OKAY, but BETTER. Safer. A little bit brighter. Deal-able. Tea and friends - there's nothing better.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that a warm mug in hand is a great way to foster meaningful conversation between friends. Glad you have people supporting you in all the right ways, Steph!

    ReplyDelete