Friday 19 October 2012

Today's Tea: Second Flush Darjeeling

Second Flush Darjeeling from David's Tea


Description: Darjeeling is known as the “champagne” of teas: if it doesn’t come from India’s Darjeeling region, you aren’t allowed to use the name. That might be why the best Darjeelings taste just like the mountains they were grown on. While the first leaves in the spring tend to be delicate and almost green in flavour, second flush Darjeelings generally have a richer, darker taste. This one is bright, woodsy and earthy, with notes of honey, fresh mushrooms and meadow flowers – like a forest getaway in a cup.

Ingredients: Second flush Darjeeling tea (grade FTGFOP 1) from Darjeeling, India.


Steph's Thoughts:
First reaction: AHHH TEA EVERYWHERE!!!!! My tea steeper got caught on something when I set it down on the table to steep, and I got tea ALL OVER. I hoped I wasn't too late to save the leaves, as I only actually had enough to brew one helping of this tea! So I ran to the kitchen, poured more hot water over the leaves, and cleaned everything up while it was steeping. Note to self: MAKE SURE THE AREA UNDER THE STEEPER IS COMPLETELY CLEAR BEFORE SETTING IT DOWN.

Second reactions: Unflavoured tea actually has some flavour to it. I don't taste the mushrooms - maybe it's because I let the GOOD stuff end up on the floor. Woodsy and earthy, definitely. A little flowery. I didn't use any sweetener of any kind, but it's got a bit of sweetness all on its own.

It's a 2 on the caffeine scale, so if you're looking for a low-dose of caffeine, this isn't your tea. But it's got an okay taste to it. I still like the flavoured stuff a little better, but for plain tea, this is definitely one of the best I've had. I think I'm going to continue to try the other plain teas from DT, just to see what artistry actually goes into creating the exquisite tastes. 

This tea tastes a lot better hot than it does cold. It might taste okay as sweetened iced tea. 

Other than that, not bad, plain DAVIDsTEA. Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment