Thursday 15 November 2012

Today's Tea: Red Velvet Cake

This one is for Kaseteufel!

Red Velvet Cake from David's Tea


Ingredients: Black tea, semi-sweet chocolate bits, white chocolate bits, beetroot powder, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring.

(From David's Tea: Red Velvet Cake)


Steph's Thoughts:
I like this tea! Not only does it smell lovely, and taste lovely, but LOOK at it! It looks happy! All the little chocolate bits, and the little red sprinkles.... My first thought upon smelling it was..... "I know this smell!!" and then it hit me  - it smells like butterscotch.

I haven't had much experience with red velvet cake (except for some deliciously yummy white-chocolate covered cake balls) so I have very little to go on. But if red velvet cake tastes like vaguely chocolate-y butterscotch, then DT wins.

This is one black tea that tastes fine if you leave the teabag in. It brews a little on the red side (that's the beetroot), and tastes lovely with or without sweetener. (I use the term sweetener generically. I don't mean Splenda or what have you. I mean YOUR sweetener of choice - honey, agave, sugar, xylitol, or, if you must, some other lo-cal sweetener.)

It has a nice aftertaste, smooth with a wee hint of chocolate. It's not overwhelming, which is nice. Even Hubby likes it, and he doesn't like chocolate tea, as a general rule.

I think it reminds me of my mum's butterscotch cookies, which are amazing. (And a secret family recipe... My grandma made them with chocolate chips, but my mum likes the butterscotch ones.

....

Great. Now I crave cookies. Nice job, DT. :P


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Steph! It make me so happy to see that you actually reviewed my suggestion ^^ and that you liked it. I had to go try this after reading your comment and you are bang on, it does taste like butterscotch. Unfortunately that's not what Red Velvet tastes like at all, but hey, they at least made a very tasty butterscotch tea. Thanks again for the helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm glad I can help. Any others on your list?? (this is fun!)

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! I have a HUGE list of teas! Ummm, how about Organic Cherry Cola? Is Dave amazing enough to make a healthy and tasty pop flavoured drink? I hope so :D

      Delete