Friday 7 December 2012

Today's Tea: Bubbly

Bubbly from DAVIDsTEA

Ingredients: Green tea, candied pineapple, mullein blossoms, artificial flavouring

(From DAVIDsTEA: Bubbly)

Steph's Thoughts:
I'm not normally a champagne drinker, because it's rather expensive, but I figured with New Year's coming up, I'd like to have some celebratory tea to drink at midnight (because that's how I roll. I don't party, and buying a bottle of expensive champagne just for me, and just for one night is a little silly). I was intrigued by the smell in the store, even though I'm NOT a green tea drinker.

A few days ago, I was trying to decide which tea to drink. I smelled the tea from this tin, and while I didn't feel like drinking it at the time, I will admit I picked through the tea to find the candied pineapple, and ate a few pieces. Candied pineapple is AMAAAAAAAAZING! It was so hard not to eat it all! But then the tea would taste funny, and we can't have that, now, can we?

I can't say I was familiar with mullein blossoms, so I did some research on the internet, and HELLO, Aren't these PRETTY?
They're cheerful little flowers!
Apparently they're in the figwort family, AND HEY DID YOU KNOW they're used for treating respiratory disorders and ear infections?
So instead of getting drunk on NYE, I can get HEALTHY! I like this plan! (..... I'm schputting here a little, since I'm pretty sure the medicinal quality of this tea is fairly minimal. Consider this a disclaimer.)

Also, I think I want to grow these in my garden in spring. HAPPY FLOWERS IN MY TEEEEEEAAAAA.

The taste of Bubbly is pineapply and green-tea-that-is-not-horrid. Again, very skeptical of green tea. It is a little on the bitter side so next time I might add a healthy dose of sweetener. Especially for the bottom bits. The bottom of the cup is really very bitter. And a bit sedimenty. I suppose that's normal.
I wonder what kind of flavour the mullein adds. I've never smelled them. Perhaps a botanist would like to describe the smell to me? In any case, David and his team have done a fabulous job blending them with the pineapple. I like the pineapple in this tea.


I apologize for the inanity of my review. It has been a very long, very emotional day and I'm sick and thus, very bonkers. And since I'm reviewing these for free, I feel a little less pressure to be professional.

Verdict: It's growing on me. The pineapple is nummy and the flowers are pretty.

1 comment:

  1. Try letting your water cool for about a minute before you pour it over your leaves. Also try using a tea ball,.tea basket or a fillable tea bag (from David's), and remove the leaves after 3 or 4 minutes. I, too, used to find green teas bitter, then found that I had been over steeping them.

    ReplyDelete