Wednesday 5 December 2012

Today's Tea: Spiced Carob

Organic Spiced Carob from DAVIDsTEA


Ingredients: Carob, oolong tea, black tea, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, natural and organic flavouring.

Caffeine: 1 (low)

(From DAVIDsTEA: Organic Spiced Carob)


Steph's Thoughts:

I had this to drink during a staff meeting, so I couldn't review it right away (though I WAS jotting notes during the meeting). But the best part about this is that it's got a fuller leaf, so it can be brewed more than once and still taste just as good! I rebrewed the bag when I got home from the meeting, and am now enjoying a second cup.

The first thing that strikes me is the ginger and the cardamom. It reminds me very much of Le Digestif, or perhaps the Pu'erh Ginger. And then, there are hints of chocolate, but not too heavy. For some reason, I'm reminded of this candied ginger-chocolate thing I ate once. It was so amazing. This is almost like the tea version of that. Except better.

After the ginger, cardamom and chocolate hit you, then there come hints of cinnamon, which are reminiscent of the Cocoa Canela, with slightly less chocolate. It really is very subtle, but oh so delicious. I think recognizing the cinnamon really made it pop.

It doesn't need a lot of sweetener - I used half a pump of agave, which was more than sufficient to sweeten it. I drank the second cup black with no sweetener, and it was just as good.

Also, apparently oolong tea, carob, and ginger are all tummy-soothers, so if you have an upset tummy, but crave a little bit of chocolate, this might be your go-to remedy. It's very light, which is welcome when you have an upset tummy.

On second brewing, the flavour of the carob really came through - it was chocolatier than the first cup. Also, I think that oolong tea has a very distinct flavour that is really hard to describe. It's not in-your-face like black tea, nor punchy like maté, nor ... um... tweaky is the only word I can think of to describe green tea (I'm not a huge green tea fan, and I'm always little skeptical of it). Earthy maybe? But not bad earthy. It's nice on the palate. And my tummy says thank you, too.

This isn't a tea that I'd normally pick for myself, but today's been a weird day. This was a really good end to the day.

Verdict: Win, enough to drink it twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment