Sunday 27 October 2013

Today's Tea: Happy Kombucha

Happy Kombucha Oolong from DAVIDsTEA


Description: Our deliciously fruity blend has its roots in the 1960s, when every cool hippie was growing kombucha. Today, hipsters are again promoting this fermented tea for its delicious taste and good vibes. We’ve combined it with oolong, mango, pineapple and safflowers to make it taste like a golden ray of psychedelic sunshine. Yeah.

Ingredients: Oolong tea, mango, pineapple, Kombucha Powder, safflower petals, artificial flavouring*.

Allergen Information: Contains gluten-free wheat starch

Caffeine: 1 (Low caffeine)

Brewing Instructions: 1.5 tsp     94°C/201°F       4-7 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Happy Kombucha)

Steph's Thoughts:
I felt like picking up an oolong yesterday, so I went to DT. The Tea Guide at St. Vital recommended Happy Kombucha.

The dry leaf notes are sweet, with pineapple and mango. I want to compare it to Mango Madness, but with a little more dried pineapple.

Those two flavours come out very strongly in the tea itself. I don't know what kombucha is supposed to taste like, or even what it is, really.

A quick Google search informs me that Kombucha is a fermented sweetened black tea (or I suppose you could use oolong as well...). The tea is fermented using a "symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast." (from Wikipedia) Some claim that kombucha has significant health benefits, lessening the effects of arthritis, depression, heartburn, and even cancer. It is also claimed to be full of probiotics and other gut-happy things. I don't know if science has PROVEN any of these claims to be true, but ... one can always hope, right? A tea that makes my gut, brain AND body happy? I could get behind that. And one that tastes amazing too? Yup. Done and done!

The tea itself is very sweet, and doesn't require a lot of sweetener. Because it is an oolong, though, it does have the potential to get bitter if steeped too hot or too long. I, however, left the teabag in for 24 hours (yeah, it takes me a long time to drink a cup of tea...), but due to the sweetener that I added it's still good!
I prefer this tea warm, but it is also refreshing when iced. It's a very versatile all-season tea!

Verdict: Nicely done, DT! Another yummy tea. Fruity and healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for provide great informatic and looking beautiful blog on kombucha dtea, really nice required information & the things I never imagined and I would request, right more blog and blog post like that for us. Thanks you once agian

    ReplyDelete