Tuesday 15 April 2014

Yesterday's Tea: Choconut Oolong

I realize that I forgot to post about the types of tea. I will at some point. I haven't forgotten.

Also, you'll notice that this post is titled YESTERDAY'S tea. There's a reason. 

Without further ado, yesterday's tea: Choconut Oolong from DAVIDsTEA


Description: David was eating breakfast: toast with chocolate hazelnut spread and a cup of oolong tea. He took a bite, then a sip. Then he got that look in his eye. A light bulb went off. Why not combine the two? Rich, dark chocolate. Smooth-drinking oolong. And just a hint of hazelnut. The result? Sweet, satisfying and a little bit nutty. It’s the perfect breakfast and the perfect tea, all rolled into one. Limited edition.

Ingredients: Cocoa husks, cocoa beans, oolong tea, black tea, liquorice, natural hazelnut flavouring, artificial cream, chocolate and caramel flavoring.

Caffeine: 2 (medium)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp      96°C/205°F 4-5 min


Steph's Thoughts:
I was at a friend's house last night for tea. She let me pick what kind of tea I wanted. This called to me, as it's rich and chocolaty. It turns out that it's one of her favourites too. She's been on a chocolate tea kick, and DAVIDsTEA has some great ones.

Since my friend didn't have a water thermometer, we kind of eyeballed it. It's important to steep oolong in water that's not too hot.

Upon drinking it, I was convinced I tasted a bit of coconut, but I think that's the hazelnut coming through. I realize that hazelnut and coconut are completely different. Just chalk it up to I'm dumb and don't have as refined taste as I would like to think I do.

Oolong is a tea that pairs well with these flavours. It's light enough that it doesn't overpower the chocolate or make the chocolate taste.... heavy? but yet, it's strong enough to carry the bold flavours of chocolate and hazelnut. 

It has a very smooth flavour as well as texture. It also pairs very very well with coffee cake, or even a lighter cake. 

I didn't try the tea with milk, but my friend loves this tea with milk. I do think that it does lend itself very well to a hint of it, as it is a chocolate tea. I could see Choconut Oolong lending itself very well to a latte, or even a frappe in summertime. 



Verdict: Yum. Win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment