Thursday 23 August 2012

Today's Tea: Cocoa Canela

Organic Cocoa Canela from David's Tea


Description: This super-chocolatey blend is an homage to Mexican hot chocolate, which is traditionally spiked with cinnamon. First we take carob, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder and chocolate chips for a rich chocolate overload. Then we add pieces of cinnamon for a hint of spicy warmth. And to top it all off we add South American yerba maté for a seriously sweet energy boost. Try it as a latte with a shake of cinnamon and a warm churro for dipping.

Ingredients: Organic: Yerba maté, carob, cocoa nibs and powder, cinnamon, chocolate chips. With organic and natural flavouring.

Allergens: dairy and soy

(From David's Tea: Cocoa Canela)

Steph's Thoughts:
This tea has been on my "to try" list ever since I saw it hit the website. Holy frijole, it was everything I expected and more!

Upon walking into the store, I squeed when I saw that they actually HAD Cocoa Canela. (Those not versed in StephSpeak, a squee is an excited squeal. It can be lengthy or short, but it sounds kinda like, "EEE!" and it's that feeling that you get in your heart when you're hanging out and then all of a sudden, you see David Tennant walking down the street and he notices you and winks and says, "Hello, I'm the Doctor" and your entire heart feels like it's going to burst with excitement. Or, you know, when you walk into David's Tea and there's the EXACT KIND of tea you want sitting on the counter. THAT'S a squee.)

Anyway. Squeeing was had. And then I ordered a mug of it hot. The barTEAsta asked me if I wanted it as a latte, which was totally a yes.With a little bit of sweetener, it was JUST LIKE drinking a mug of superamazing hot chocolate. Except without all of the guilty "OMG YOU'RE GOING TO GET FAT WITH CALORIES!!!!" voice in your head. Because it's tea. And if you use skim milk and low-calorie sweetener? Hello, MADE OF WIN!

This morning, I made a cup of it with no milk and no sugar. Still love it. It has enough sweetness in it that you don't really need any sugar to still be able to enjoy the taste. If you want to drink a cup of "no-guilt hot chocolate" you're going to want to add a bit of sugar. I find that most hot chocolate powders are too sweet, and this way, you can make this tea with your desired sweetness and still get the same effect.

The thing I like about this tea is that it's got the distinct taste of cinnamon. It's not overwhelming, though; it's like it's supposed to be there. It makes me think of Mayan temples and warmth, and the ancient beliefs that chocolate was medicinal. (I'm not debating that belief, though. It makes ME feel better!)

I would also turn this into popsicles too. .... I really do need to start working on my popsicle recipes, because the last ones I made were SO disappointing.

Verdict: Amazingly fantastically made of win!

No comments:

Post a Comment