Saturday 23 November 2013

Today's Tea: Salted Caramel

Salted Caramel from DAVIDsTEA


Description: There’s no better treat than a salted caramel. You won’t find this in your history books, but we’ve heard that Romeo seduced Juliet with a salt-sprinkled toffee. Rich, buttery and sweet with a kiss of salt – who can resist? So it goes without saying that it makes for a seriously delicious tea. This is a rich black tea blend, strewn with pieces of English toffee, coconut, caramel and a touch of French sea salt. It’s guaranteed to seduce your taste buds.

Ingredients: Black tea, coconut, caramel bits, English toffee bits, sea salt, natural and artificial flavouring

Allergen Information: Contains soy, coconut, milk and almonds

Caffeine: 2 (Medium caffeine)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp       98°C/208°F   4-7 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Salted Caramel)


Steph's Thoughts:
I'm not normally a toffee or caramel person. However, lately it seems to be a craving of mine. This tea was recommended by my Friendly Neighbourhood Tea Guide at Grant Park today. I gave her the specifications of "sweet" and "caffeinated," and this was the second one she pulled.

Dry leaf notes are slightly bitter with a definite toffee smell. Normally this would be offputting, but today it seemed like a warm, inviting smell.

I find this similar to the Crème Caramel Rooibos, except creamier and without the very distinct rooibos flavour. Which is not a bad thing, it's just different. (Also, I thought I reviewed that one. Apparently I didn't. Huh. OH WELL! A trip BACK to DT is in order!!![note the distinct LACK OF ENTHUSIASM in my voice.....</sarcasm>...])

I find that a tea can have exactly the same flavouring ingredients, but if you change the leaf (be it green, black, rooibos or maté, or whatever), the flavour can be quite varied. Some flavours don't taste good as a black tea, but make a fantastic green tea (Mom's Apple Pie is a great example)!

That being said, Salted Caramel tastes a little like a Werthers candy without the cloying sweetness that tends to overpower such candies. Don't get me wrong, I love my sweetness. But sometimes, you want the flavour without risking your teeth. This is the way to go.
I was curious about the "salted" part. Would my tea be salty??! Because that's just gross. But like my friend Erica says, "The right amount of salt enhances rather than detracts from flavour. It's why you don't skip the salt when you're baking. It'll make your chocolate taste that much better." Since she's the best chef I know, I'm going to take her advice!

I can't taste the coconut, but I'm sure that it provides the roundness and body such a tea requires. Which is nice, because I can't say I'm terribly fond of coconut. But thanks to DT, it's growing on me.

Also, looking at the above picture, I'm tempted to pick out all the little caramel/toffee bits and munch on them. I think that would definitely mess up the flavour, though. Don't eat the tea, Steph. This isn't one of the ones you could do that with.

Verdict: Perfect if you're craving a hint of sweetness with a caffeine kick.




No comments:

Post a Comment