Monday 25 November 2013

Today's Tea: Wild Black Yunnan

Wild Black Yunnan from DAVIDsTEA


Description: In Yunnan province in southern China, ancient tea trees still grow wild in the forests. They can be hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Purists rave about the rich brown colour of the steeped tea, the aroma of sweet forest floor, the clean, natural finish. Our wild black Yunnan uses small, new leaves plucked from wild-growing trees, tightly twisted to preserve their natural flavour. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Wild black tea from Yunnan Province, China

Caffeine: 2 (medium caffeine)

Brewing instructions: 1.25 tsp     98°C/ 208°F   4-6 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Wild Black Yunnan)

Steph's Thoughts:
It was a free-radicals and tannins kind of day, as I'm spending the evening watching the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special with my friends. I wanted a black tea, but not one too strong. I was intrigued by the name "wild black yunnan." I can just hear the words rolling off David Tennant's tongue, all yummy and delicious. (Sorry. His voice is very, very pleasing to my ears.)

The dry leaf notes are very subtle,  barely providing any aroma.

The first sips are mild. There's not a whole lot of additional flavour to it. Some black teas taste earthy, and some taste nutty, without any flavour added. This however just tastes like... straight black tea. I added a bit of agave which provides sweetness. My friend Nicole says it has a hint of chocolate to it.

I can see this pairing very well with milk or lemon. The British would probably serve it with a slice of lemon and a sugar cube.

I like it!

Verdict: wiiiiiiiin

No comments:

Post a Comment