Saturday 2 November 2013

Today's Tea: White Chocolate Frost

White Chocolate Frost from DAVIDsTEA


Description: Say what you will about winter, but it might just be our favourite season. We love getting good and chilly out in the snow. And warming back up with a comforting drink is even more fun. So we created a cool, creamy drink that brings together everything we love about the season. It has peppermint for a burst of freshness. White chocolate for comfort and warmth. And pretty peppercorns just to make you smile. Sweet, comforting and refreshing, it’s a warm hug and a cool winter’s day – all at once. Limited edition.


Ingredients: Peppermint, white chocolate, pink peppercorn, stevia leaf, natural sugar flavoring, natural and artificial white chocolate mousse flavoring

Allergen Information: Contains milk and soy.

Caffeine: 0 (Caffeine free)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp    96°C/205°F  3-5 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: White Chocolate Frost)

Steph's Thoughts:
This is part of the new Winter collection.

I brought this tea over to a friend of mine last night. He had been saying that a peppermint tea with white chocolate would be wonderful. How appropriate, then, that this would be released by DAVIDsTEA this week! I thought it would be a wonderful surprise for him. He enjoyed it so much that I felt like brewing myself a cup today, since I'm under the weather and could use some joy.

Dry leaf notes are very pepperminty. Actually, it smells a little bit like peppermint schnapps.

The brewed tea flavour is very mellow. Austin said yesterday that it didn't have the same kick to the back of your teeth that straight peppermint does.
The mint pairs very well with the chocolate. Initially, I'd thought that the peppercorns would make it spicy, but that's not the case. This tea doesn't require any additional sweetener, as it is sweet enough on its own. I want to say that it's like candy cane hot chocolate, without the teeth-rotting sweetness. It's perfect the way it is.

It steeps a very lovely yellow colour. It does have a bit of an oily sheen on the top, which I'm assuming is from the peppermint. HOWEVER, I ASSUME WRONG. A quick Google search and a perusal of results leads me to conclude that chemicals in the tea are reacting with chemicals in my water (all naturally occurring), and that the oily film won't occur if I use bottled water to steep my tea. This seems like way too much of a process (also, I'm not THAT much of a tea snob that I insist on using bottled water to brew tea), and the film doesn't really detract from the taste, it just makes it look a little funny. I'll just put it in my Timolino, and savour it for hours.

I'm torn between wanting to drink the whole cup right now, or savouring it for a while.


Verdict: Another yummy tea from DT. WIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment