Saturday 4 January 2014

Today's Tea: Ginseng Oolong

Ginseng Oolong from DAVIDsTEA


Description: At first sight, this ginseng-coated tea looks more like moss-covered pebbles than tea leaves. And it tastes just as wonderfully weird as it looks: rich and crisp with a hint of shea butter and a sweet ginseng flavour that lingers long after each sip. Plus oolong and ginseng are two of Chinese medicine’s favourite ingredients – you’re basically one cup away from being a superhero. Try it “gung fu” style, by steeping the leaves multiple times. Every cup is a completely new experience. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Oolong tea from Fujian Province in China, ginseng.

Caffeine: 2 (Medium caffeine)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp    94°C/201°F 5 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Ginseng Oolong)

Steph's Thoughts:

I can tell right away that I steeped the tea too long. I got carried away with some work stuff and forgot about it.

Initially, I was a little hesitant about the tea, as it doesn't particularly look all that appealing. However, I've learned that you can't judge by appearances. I also have very little experience with oolong.
It's a very earthy tea, with a mild aroma. Its smell evokes a comparison with Chinese green tea.

My first impression was "oh. Bitter mistake." Probably from oversteeping. HOWEVER. The aftertaste that it leaves in your mouth is quite lovely. It has a sweet aftertaste, with honey notes. Crisp is definitely a word I would use to describe this tea; I would say at times it is almost biting. However, it mellows out after you swallow.

The Hubby says it tastes a bit like Genmaicha, without the burnt flavour. He also says that it has a tangy aftertaste, activating his sour tastebuds.

I find that everyone reacts differently to different flavours within the tea.

I would like to try steeping it again (properly), reusing the leaves to see how the flavour changes.

Edited to add: Also, this expands LIKE CRAZY, so make sure that you have a big enough steeper for it. (It's actually kind of frightening to see how much it expands!) I have visions of someone thinking it'll fit in one of those little spoon steepers and then having a teasplosion in the cup!

Verdict: Not bad for a first try. I love the aftertaste.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. sam mhg

    ReplyDelete