Friday 3 January 2014

Today's Tea: Sheng Pu'erh

Sheng Pu'erh from DAVIDsTEA



Description: This dark, mysterious tea is totally unlike anything else in our collection. Also called Green Pu’erh, Sheng Pu’erh is a « living » tea – it continues to mature and improve like an excellent wine. Taste a cup of this young tea today and it will be rich and earthy, with sweet, vegetal mushroom notes. Try it again in a year or two and it will be sweeter and mellower, with a delicious hint of honey. We recommend buying enough to drink this year, then storing some away for a serious treat a few years down the road. If you can wait that long…

Ingredients: Sheng (green) pu’erh.

Caffeine: 2 (Medium Caffeine)

Brewing Instructions: 1.5 tsp     85°C/180°F     2-4 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Sheng Pu'erh)

Steph's Thoughts:
This is one of the teas that I picked up for Hubby when I went tea shopping. He loves pu'erh tea because of its smoothness. We typically drink flavoured pu'erh, so I thought I'd go for a straight one to compare. I loved the smell of this one. It has an earthy aroma, but not off-putting.

The taste of this tea is slightly indescribable. It is earthy, yes. But there's a hint of green, of some sort of plant-ish... fruity.... It's really hard to pin down. I wouldn't call it mushroom. I'm torn between wanting to add sweetener and wanting to savour it straight. It really doesn't need sweetener, though. It's not bitter like some straight blacks or greens.

When I asked the Hubby about it, he said "Some things aren't meant to be described. I mean, you could describe it if you added things to it. It's not a flavour, it's a feeling I get when I drink it. And that feeling is Mmmmmmm."

Why should you buy this tea? It's smooth, it's yummy, it makes a great cup of tea. It's a tea win!

So....

Verdict: Mmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment