Sunday 29 June 2014

Today's Tea: Cherry Snowcone

Cherry Snowcone from DAVIDsTEA


Description: When summer really turns up the heat, there’s one cool treat we turn to. A bright red, tangy-sweet cherry snowcone. There’s just no better way to beat the heat. And this tart and fruity cherry-packed blend is our take on the summer classic. Try brewing it extra-strong, sweetening with agave and pouring it over cracked ice for the ultimate refreshing summer treat. A little splash of white rum certainly wouldn’t hurt either.


Ingredients: Hibiscus, rose hip peel, apple, currants, elderberry, sugar crystals, sour cherries, acerola cherries, natural cherry flavouring.

Caffeine: 0 (Caffeine free)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp    96°C/205°F    4-7 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Cherry Snowcone)

Steph's Thoughts:

This is one of the teas in the new Carnival Collection.

I will admit, this is the one tea that I wasn't terribly sold on when I bought the Carnival Collection. It didn't smell quite as sweet as the others. Also, I'm not a terribly huge cherry fan. When snowcones were available, I would always opt for blue.

However, this does brew a very nice cup of iced tea. I was worried that 1.25 tsp (x2, for iced tea) wouldn't be enough, because the cherry pieces are quite large. There are some whole dried cherries in there, one of which almost takes up an entire teaspoon!!

I let this tea steep a little longer than recommended, because I wanted a nice bold flavour for iced tea. It brews a nice clear cherry-pink.

I don't think it needs a whole lot of sweetener. The initial tastes are a little bitter, but it's got a very sweet aftertaste that I think sweetener would just... ruin. It's like... a mouthful of ripe cherry, slightly sour with very sweet aftertastes.

I found out that acerola cherries are very rich in vitamin C and are a source of antioxidants (Ooh, look! Health buzzword!).

And even though I'm not a big cherry fan, this is definitely a lovely cuppa.

Verdict: Nicely done, DT. Thanks for changing my mind about cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment