Wednesday 4 June 2014

Today's Tea: First Flush Darjeeling

First Flush Darjeeling from DAVIDsTEA


Description: We've found some of the very best Darjeeling of the season and rushed it to stores - so you can taste it right off the bush. It's fresh and nutty with hints of spring vegetables and mountain air.

Ingredients: First flush Darjeeling tea from Chamong Estate, India

Brewing Instructions: 1 1/4 tsp per 240 mL water     85°C/185°F      2-4 min

(From: the bag, from DAVIDsTEA)

Steph's Thoughts
This is an in-store exclusive, hence the "no-link" situation above, and the slightly less-than-professional photo.

These particular leaves have gone through the "black tea" process, but the leaves themselves are very green. It is not recommended that it be brewed on the "black tea" setting (DON'T BOIL YOUR WATER!), but rather on the Oolong setting. After my first sip, I might even try brewing it slightly colder.

One thing to note with this tea is that you need to pay attention to your steep time. Oversteeping tends to lead to a much more bitter infusion. I think this is what my problem was - I got distracted during steeping and oversteeped it. Oops. Next time, I will pay attention to my steep time! My research recommends a shorter steep time, closer to two minutes, rather than the lengthy four. I'm the kind that likes strong tea, but too long, and your tea will bite back.

It does have a very green flavour, despite the dry leaf notes having a slightly floral aroma. It brews very clear, having a nice amber hue. Normally, I wouldn't recommend sweetener for this tea. However, since I oversteeped it, I'm going to go put a little bit of sweetener in. Bitter tea is no fun, guys.

What makes it a first flush is that it's picked between March and May, and does tend to be a little more on the expensive side. The tea was picked in May and flown into the stores almost right away. Hence the limited-time, in-store exclusive.
I was also doing a little bit of research into the Chamong estates, up in the Darjeeling region of India. It's absolutely beautiful. Also, most of the tea estate isn't actually tea. This is what their website says:

Our flagship garden, Chamong, became a tea plantation as early as 1871. It was one of the first Darjeeling gardens to be acquired by the Lohia Group. Stretching over 332 hectares of land, Chamong is set into the side of a hill and its altitude ranges from 1150 meters to 1850 meters above sea level. Only about 132 hectares of this space is given to tea plantation, while a small area holds a tea factory and a village for laborers. Most of the property is forest-land filled with a great variety of flora and fauna...

I've taken a look at some pictures and gah. I want to go there. Apparently, a group called Tumsong Chiabari runs a retreat centre out of the tea plantations.... How awesome would that vacation be?? Spending time on a tea plantation, getting to see things in process.... fresh tea and hikes in the mountains....... Oh man.

Also, according to their website, and all publications I've seen regarding the tea estate, everything that is produced there is 100% organic. Now, the question is, are they fair trade?? Because if so, WIIIIIIINNN!!!!

Verdict: Would be much better if not oversteeped. I have learned my lesson. But otherwise, VERY nice. I think it would make a wonderful afternoon tea. I could see myself sitting on an adirondack chair, hanging out in the mountains, sipping a cup of this wonderful brew. How nice would this be???


No comments:

Post a Comment