Wednesday 23 January 2013

Guest Post: Chocolate Rocket Review from T'Noob

Hello dear Reader.

We have another guest post from the T'Noob! It is reviewing one of my favourite teas - Chocolate Rocket.

Without further ado...

Rocket Man
T’Noob here again!

I’ve got to start off with a couple of confessions.

Confession #1: I am a nerd. No, I mean I am a serious nerd. I’m not just nerdy or have nerdy tendencies or like nerdy things. I’m a fully blown, old school, Trek loving, computer programming, pocket protector wearing, fixing eye glasses with tape wearing, role playing, stay home on Friday night recompiling my kernel... *deep breathe* NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD. So in general anything having to do with space is A-Okay with me.

Confession #2: I am a serious chocoholic. I die for a nice finely milled, high cocoa piece of dark chocolate. A nice 85% swiss is really nice.

So, putting one and one together should make “Chocolate Rocket” a winner. This is another pack from the “David’s Start Kit” given to me for Christmas from Mrs. Steph.

On the packet it says: “Need a boost? This energizing hit will have you up and flying. Yerba maté, cocao nibs, almonds, roasted chicory root, raspberries, flavouring. Contains nuts.”

So, on paper this really should be a winner. Aside from containing nuts. I figure I’m generally nutty enough.. but I digress.

So I brewed it up. Smell wise it certainly walked the walk. As soon as the hot water hit the tea pouch the kitchen filled with a rich chocolatey smell and something that vaguely reminded me of brewing coffee. The first sip I tried without sweetening, which historically has never worked well for me and tea. This time... not bad. Still had that bittery taste in the background but the chocolate and nuts flavours definitely shone through. Nice, but still....

I poured a bit of honey into it... Very nice. Kinda like drinking a watery melted toblerone bar while smelling a pot of coffee steaming away. As the cup cooled a bit the hints of raspberry came through more clearly and the almond flavour become clearer.

As for the energy boost... oh my yes. As of writing this about ten minutes have passed since the last gulp and it feels like I’ve drank about a litre of cola. I suspect that this will let me down a little more gently than the cola alternative but the peak is definitely familiar. I think I’d go run around the house a couple of times, if it didn’t mean going outside and face the baleful glare of the dreaded Day Star.

Verdict: Very Nice. I’m still a bit hesitant about that bitter undertow that I still associate with teas but it might just be an acquired taste that I just haven’t yet, but over all yummy. I would say that if you wanted to start a hesitant tea drinker with anything, “Chocolate Rocket” would be a good place to start. Definitely going to have this one feature prominently in my rotation, but I wouldn’t suggest it if you wanted to try to sleep in the next four or five hours. Rocket launches are a morning thing.

Where to next? Well, chocolate and mint go well together so I figure “North African Mint” next. That, and the stars Space Man! *chuckle chuckle snort*

No comments:

Post a Comment