Friday 18 January 2013

Today's Tea: Three Wishes Tea

Three Wishes Tea from DAVIDsTEA





Description: In old Arabian tales, there was always a genie around ready to grant you three wishes. In comparison, the modern world seems a bit dull. So how do you escape reality? Try this rare tea. Its exotic fragrances of jasmine and rose water will transport you to the time of Ali Baba. Enjoy it chilled, or look into the hot steam and dream of genies

Ingredients: Chinese green tea, black tea from China, sunflower petals, jasmine blossoms, rose petals, artificial flavouring

How to Prepare: 1.5 tsp 98°C/208°F 4-6 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Three Wishes Tea)


Steph's Thoughts:
This was another recommend from Laura at the Grant Park store.

Initially, I was convinced I wouldn't like it. Jasmine AND rose petals?? oh heeeeey no. These are my two least favourite things.

However, Laura convinced me that it could at least warrant a smell. So I smelled it, and was immediately struck with a fruity scent. I couldn't place it and neither could Laura, so she asked one of her colleagues to help us identify the fruit. Her colleague (whose name escapes me) declared, "Peaches. It smells like peaches."

And then, there it was. Peaches. Not overly peachy - maybe like peach blossoms???? I've never smelled peach blossoms, but in my head they smell lovely.

The tea doesn't taste quite like it smells. It is slightly bitter, and most definitely contains both black and green tea. Those notes are quite obvious. There are definitely floral flavours in here too, but they aren't as bad as I feared. And if you drink it cold, it tastes a bit like honeydew melon. Or maybe cantaloupe.

One of the things one reviewer on Steepster suggests is brewing it slightly cooler (85-90°C) to lessen the bitter flavour, and bring out more of the fruity-floral flavour.

I think I am conflicted on this one. On the one hand, it doesn't have a bad flavour. I like the slightly peachy-melon-y taste. On the other hand ..... neeeeeeeeehhhhhhh. (I know, incredibly descriptive, isn't it?) I don't know - it's just not my favourite. But I still want to give it a chance! Maybe sweeter??

Verdict: Conflicted!

No comments:

Post a Comment