Sunday 10 May 2015

Today's Tea: Cool Cactus

Cool Cactus from DAVIDsTEA



Description: If you’ve never tried a prickly pear, you may not associate the desert with refreshment. But once you get a taste of this luscious little cactus fruit, you just might change your tune. Traditionally used for candies, jellies and aguafresca, prickly pear is naturally sweet and totally refreshing. And in this exotic, fruity blend with green tea, lemongrass and pineapple, it makes for a deliciously fresh taste of the desert.

Ingredients: Pineapple, rose hips, green tea, strawberry leaf, lemongrass, lily flower, natural and artificial pear and prickly pear flavoring.

Caffeine: 2 (Medium)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp     85°C/180°F 3-4 min

(From Steepster: Cool Cactus)

Steph's Thoughts:
I had a yen for something light, fruity and iced today.

This is a tea I picked up a couple of months ago, when it was available as part of the Sunshine Collection. It has since been discontinued, and isn't on the website anymore, so I had to cobble together the information from several different websites (the main being Steepster, hence the credit). I hadn't tried it then, since it smelled like an iced tea, and when it was available, it was cooooold outside.

Anyway, this was today's pick. It's a nice, light, fruity green tea. I steeped it slightly longer than what it recommends, partially because the flavour is very subtle, and partially because I kind of forgot to set a timer.

It's got a nice pear/pineapple/strawberry flavour. None of them are overwhelming, and they blend very nicely. I've read several reviews that say that this tea has a very clear green tea flavour. I have very limited experience with green tea, but I don't think this tastes like a green at all. Perhaps it would if you used the wrong temperature to steep it. I've been very careful when brewing my greens, as I don't want to burn the leaves. Bitter tea is gross.

I feel like this is an iced tea which requires some sweetener, though too much overwhelms the flavour, so you have to be very careful.

It's definitely a thirst quencher. I'm sad that it's not still available. This would make a wonderful summer tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment