Sunday 17 May 2015

Today's Tea: The Glow

The Glow from DAVIDsTEA


Description: This light, floral elixir is all about beauty. That’s why it has rooibos, which is basically a liquid spa. It also boasts traditional stars like rose petals, rosehip and marigold. And time-honoured nourisher like nettle leaf. Plus there’s cinnamon, Ayurveda’s complexion saver. Just steeping it makes you glow. Caffeine-free. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Cinnamon, rosehips, nettle leaf, rooibos, rose petals, marigold. With natural peach, pomegranate and red fruit flavouring.

Caffeine: 0 (caffeine free)

Brewing Instructions: 1.25 tsp    96°C/205°F    4-7 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: The Glow)

Steph's Thoughts:

When I compared my bag to the stuff on the website, it's very different. This is what my bag says:

This light, floral elixir is all about enhancing your skin’s clarity and elasticity. That’s why it has rooibos, with hydrating zinc and alpha hydroxy acids. It also boasts traditional stars like rose petals, rosehip and jasmine. And time-honoured nourishers like oat straw and nettle leaf. Plus there’s cinnamon, Ayurveda’s complexion saver. Just steeping it makes you glow. Caffeine-free.

Organic: cinnamon, rosehips, nettle leaf, oatstraw herb, rooibos, rose petals, jasmine flower, organic flavouring.

It, however, smells amazing. Warm and comforting, not at all floral like I was expecting based on the ingredients.

It steeps a very lovely warm amber colour, and is very subtle in flavour. Some reviewers have likened it to an oatmeal cookie. I really enjoy the subtle flavour. I was worried that the flowers, especially the rose and jasmine would overpower some of the other flavours, but they don't detract from the taste at all. It's not nearly as rooibos-y as one would think, either. There are some teas that I drink that I go "Oh yeah, this is definitely honeybush tea!" This is not one of them.

I steeped it for just over 5 minutes. I don't know whether steeping it longer would embolden the flavour at all, or whether this tea has been specifically designed to be more subdued. I like it though.

I'm drinking it straight, without any sweeteners; I don't think it really needs any. Maybe a BIT if you feel it really needs it, but ... I'm TRYING to cut back on my sugar intake. That's the theory anyway.

I can't necessarily comment on the "skin toning" or "glowing" aspect of the tea, as I have only had, to this point, half a cup. ALTHOUGH I could definitely see one adding some of this as liquid in a homemade oatmeal facial mask for a little bit of a sweeter aroma, maybe even grinding up some of the tea and adding it to the mask as well. I'll have to try that.

Because of the cinnamon, it's not a tea that I would recommend to be iced. Even as my tea is cooling off, I'm enjoying it less. Unfortunately, as I've said before, there's a very short window between "OW MY MOUTH" and "ugh, too cold."

Hubby says it's "okay. Reminds me too much of cinnamon hearts." He's just not a cinnamon fan.

Verdict: It's nice if you don't mind cinnamon and subtlety. Subtle-tea. Haha. (sorry, that was bad)

No comments:

Post a Comment