Wednesday 6 March 2013

Today's Tea: Coco-Lemon Thai

Coco-Lemon Thai from DAVIDsTEA

Description: Thai cuisine is known for its bold flavours and unexpected combinations. And this fresh, sunny white tea blend is no exception. It combines delicate white tea with zingy lemongrass and lemon myrtle, creamy coconut and spicy-sweet ginger, for a taste that’s subtly exotic and addictively refreshing. It’s a guaranteed jolt of sunshine that’ll turn any ordinary day into a trip to the bustling markets of Bangkok or a lush island in the Andaman Sea. Go ahead – you deserve a vacation.

Ingredients: White tea, ginger, coconut, lemon myrtle, lemongrass, sunflowers, natural and artificial lemon, cream and coconut flavouring.

Allergens: Coconut

Caffeine: 1 (Low caffeine)

How to Brew: 1.25 tsp 92°C/ 198°F 4-5 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Coco-Lemon Thai)


Steph's Thoughts:
I wanted a cup of tea from DT today, and the Hubby made me promise that I would not get anything I already had. That list is getting ever smaller (ack! or yay, depending on how you look at it...), so my options were limited. I explained my dilemma to the Tea Guides, and one of them (I am so sorry, I'm horrible with names, and I've forgotten! *sniff* Please forgive me!) suggested that I try Coco-Lemon Thai. This has been on my list of things to try since it became Tea of the Month.

The smell of the dry tea immediately whisked me away to the tropical shores of Thailand. The coconut and lemongrass cut through the tea, but not in an overpowering way. The brewed colour is a nice clear amber. The bouquet is very Thai. Hubby says that it tastes a bit too ginger-y for him, so he doesn't care for it much. I, however, don't notice this. Well, okay, that's not true. I DO taste it, and can taste the spice on my tongue, but I personally don't think it's overpowering. I find it's more coconut-and-lemongrass.

I would caution against oversteeping this. I find that whites, when oversteeped, get bitter. (in other words, STEPH, TAKE THE DAMN TEABAG OUT.)

It tastes a little like a sweet version of the hot and sour soup, or the stir fry that I order at Bangkok Thai (which is an amazing little Thai restaurant in Osborne Village in Winnipeg!). I could definitely see cooking with this tea. It would make an amazing glaze for chicken. Even more amazing, cook your rice for your Thai dishes in this tea! Oh YUM!

I like this tea a little on the sweeter side. It does taste just fine cold. It's nice and light, and very, very "spring-y," which is why I think it makes a great addition to the permanent collection, released along with the spring collection. I think there's also a recipe for a cocktail with this tea. I could see it in a hurricane glass with a cherry in it.

If you are looking for a vacation (or you're craving Thai food, and can't get out), drink this tea. THIS is what it reminds me of:


And really, when it looks like THIS outside:
I will take the tropics any day!!!!
(seriously. Whoever is praying for snow in Winnipeg, PLEASE STOP!)

No comments:

Post a Comment