Saturday 2 March 2013

Today's Tea: Toasted Walnut

Toasted Walnut from DAVIDsTEA



Description: Traditional Chinese medicine says walnuts are a warming food. Which makes sense, because this is the kind of tea you spontaneously want to cozy up to on a cold winter afternoon. The comforting, lightly bitter taste of toasted walnuts is sweetened and deepened with dried pineapple, coconut, almond and organic green tea. Sip it in front of an open fire and chase away the cold.

Ingredients: Chinese sencha green tea, nut brittle (sugar, hazelnut), candied pineapple (pineapple, sugar), coconut rasps (coconut, coconut fat, sugar), almond flakes, walnut bits and artificial flavouring.

Allergens: Tree nuts and coconut

How to Brew: 1.25 tsp 82°C/180°F 3-4 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Toasted Walnut)

Steph's Thoughts:
The bouquet of this tea, dry, is most definitely tropical. You can smell the coconut, as well as the pineapple and a hint of nutty green. (The walnut smell is a little plant-y...)

I made SURE that I followed the brewing instructions (letting the tea water cool before pouring it into my mug, only brewing a few minutes, removing the leaves after brewing), and that certainly cuts down on the bitterness. I am surprised at how much the green tea leaves open. I know I shouldn't be too shocked. Tea is constantly surprising me.
It has a wonderful blonde colour, very clear and light.

The first sip had me wondering - is it nuts, or coconut, or green tea that I'm tasting?? This is not a bad question! You can smell the coconut, but the flavour of the toasted nuts also comes through.

With every sip, I find myself wondering what this would taste like as an addition to blondies - like brownies, but without cocoa.
These are Butterscotch Blondies...
I really wonder if I could adapt a blondie recipe to include some Toasted Walnut tea. In my head, it tastes amazing. (Crap, now I crave fresh baking, and it's 10 pm. This isn't happening today.)

Anyway. The first couple of sips are nice and sweet, but as I keep drinking, I'm finding it gets a little more bitter. However, I've already had my sugar quotient for the day, so I'm going to have to drink it straight. It is a wonderful end-of-the-day tea. They are right in that it is very comforting, and smells good. Green tea still isn't quite my thing, but it's growing on me.

This is a tea that tastes a lot better warm, so don't let it sit while you browse for more recipes on your computer. Drink it right away!

Verdict: Win-spiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment