Thursday 7 March 2013

Today's Tea: Organic Crème de Menthe

Organic Crème de Menthe from DAVIDsTEA


Description: It’s time to go retro and return this flavour to its rightful place as the Queen of Liqueurs. Are you ready to succumb to its charms? Our version is a rich, dark blend of organic pu’erh tea and peppermint, sweetened with all the creaminess of organic Madagascan vanilla, licorice and cinnamon. It’s as delicious as the original, only you can drink it everyday, all day. Now, that’s decadent.

Ingredients: Organic: Pu-erh (cooked, Shou type), cinnamon, peppermint, licorice root, vanilla bean. With natural vanilla flavoring.

Caffeine: 2 (medium caffeine)

How to Brew: 1.25 tsp       98°C/208°F       4-6 min

(From DAVIDsTEA: Crème de Menthe)

Steph's Thoughts:

I've been waiting to try this one ever since my very first visit to DAVIDsTEA, but they have always been out of stock. They got new stock in as an online exclusive, so I snapped it up right away!!

Upon opening the bag, I was greeted with a smell that smelled very much like peppermint schnapps or,.... well, crème de menthe. (of course, now I crave alcohol, but I will drink tea and everything will be just fine!!)

I brewed this tea in a black mug, so I can't tell you what colour it turns, but it's got a lovely mild flavour. It's minty, without being INYOURFACE. It's also really nice and smooth, as it's a pu'erh tea. The Hubby also really likes pu'erh. It has a funny name, but a wonderful flavour!!

The cinnamon flavour is mild enough that it doesn't overpower anything else, and the licorice root is doing wonders for my stomach. (I've had an upset stomach for a few days, and it's finally calming down.) This is also a tea that really doesn't require any additional sweetness, as it is provided quite nicely by the licorice root.

A friend says that he imagines it like a liquid After Eight mint. After he said that, I took a sip, and thought, "You know, he's not far off..." It's sweet, though not nearly as sweet as the chocolate. And though the tea tecnhnically contains no chocolate, there is a hint of it that comes through. This tea leaves a nice, clean aftertaste in your mouth, very much like After Eights, with none of the calories!!

The tea tastes quite lovely hot, but can also suffice cold if you, like me, get distracted and forget to drink your tea while it's hot... Though I think I personally like it better hot. It's more like TEA tea rather than iced tea. (Also, hot chocolate + peppermint schnapps = win, and this tea is KIND OF like that, without all the alcohol.)

Verdict: WIN, and TOTALLY worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment