Tuesday 26 March 2013

Today's Tea: Jungle Ju Ju

Jungle Ju Ju from DAVIDsTEA



Description: Head for the Ju Ju Jungle, made with a guayusa herb and fruit blend that’ll make you feel like swinging from the vines and hanging from the trees. No wonder. Guayusa contains a combo of the natural stimulants also found in green tea and dark chocolate. People claim it protects you against snake bites, gives you courage, and helps you spiritually connect to nature. With its smooth flavour and natural buzz, we’ll just say it makes for a deliciously stimulating cup of tea.


Ingredients: Guayusa (Ecuador), papaya, peach, artificial and natural flavouring.

How to Brew:  1.5 tsp     98°C/208°F 4-7 min

Caffeine: S (stimulant)

(From DAVIDsTEA: Jungle Ju Ju)


Steph's Thoughts:
I needed something with a great deal of caffeine today. Also, since it is doing that spring thing of "freezing in the morning, hot in the afternoon" I needed something refreshing. Though, I wouldn't call -2 hot.... However, when it's -20 in the morning, -2 is downright balmy!

ANYWAY.

Today's TeaGuide recommended Jungle Ju Ju. It's a maté, so it has lots of caffeine, and it's a nice fruity tea. And, quite frankly, tastes quite wonderful iced.

It has a nice amber colour, with a slightly green tinge. The aroma of peach and papaya comes through quite nicely.

This tea goes well with sweeter snacks (like sunbutter balls, which is like peanut butter, but made with roasted sunflower seeds, and contains no nuts), rather than with savoury dishes.

It does have a few bitter notes, but the taste of the papaya offsets it nicely. Also, I find that agave is a good additive to this tea when steeping, prior to pouring over ice.

I don't feel quite as muzzy as I did when I started drinking it, so that's a total plus. That's probably due to the guayusa, which is one of three known caffeinated holly trees. Apparently, it has twice the amount of antioxidants than green tea. Also, it contains theobromine,, which is the thing in chocolate "that has been shown to reduce physical and mental stress." (says Wikipedia) Healthy, brain-clearing, energizing, and de-stressing?? I think I've found my new daily cuppa!

Jungle Ju Ju tastes pretty awesome iced. I don't know what it tastes like hot, though I have a feeling this is one of those "better iced" ones.


Verdict: Tea WIN!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment